Wednesday 26 October 2011

Re-Engaging Students with Geography - Ideas?

I've found that Geography isn't considered a particularly important subject by students in the country where I teach. This is due to a whole host of factors that I'm not going to get into here. It saddens me, because not only is Geography highly relevant when it comes to everyday life, it is a genuinely interesting and broad subject. As a result, I've been trying to brainstorm ways of raising the profile of Geography and to retain students, especially at a Sixth Form level. 
  1. More field trips and outdoor lessons (bearing in mind a) finances and b) weather).
  2. Setting up a Geography Club (was given some great ideas about how to do this from fellow Twitterers).
  3. Creating a Geography Awareness Week (maybe in conjunction with the other Humanities).
  4. Altering existing curricula (taking into account student interest  - survey time!)
  5. Educating students about future pathways in Geography, and transferable skills.
  6. Liaising with local and national Geography teaching associations for  advice and PD
  7. ...?
I'd really welcome all ideas and suggestions from those more experienced than me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment