Thursday 3 May 2012

Derwentwater: Change over Time

Since the drought in the UK is quite topical at the moment, I thought I'd put up two of my photos of the Lake District. The first one was taken in 2007 and the second three years later, in 2010. These images are of the southern end of Derwentwater, not too far from Lodore Falls. The difference in water level is quite obvious. The summer of 2010 (against all weather predictions) was very hot by UK standards. One local shopkeeper told me that several of the jetties on the lake were rendered unusable by the dropping water levels. 


In 2007



In 2010

Feel free to use these images in your classrooms to demonstrate change over time and the effects of drought in the UK. I've made a quick worksheet using these images that can be downloaded via the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment