Wednesday 23 January 2013

Who needs learning styles when you have learning activities?

I first learned about learning styles when I embarked upon my Masters in Teaching. I'll admit it, I was 'super excited' when I first heard about it, primarily because it involved educational theory (#geekalert). It also seemed to make some sense to me. 

Fast forward a couple of years, and I no longer ascribe to the idea. In fact, I now find it lazy and too narrow. We are meant to do quizzes to find out how our students learn, and I don't think that's a bad thing. However, they are invariably based on learning styles. Students nominate 1-3 top learning styles. This is what I don't like (sounds a bit contradictory, I know). You get students claiming they can only learn in specific 'styles'. Not true (in my experience). They might find some 'styles' more comfortable or accessible, but ultimately can access them all - I feel that it all depends on clarity and explanation. 

I much prefer the idea of offering a variety of learning activities/assessment opportunities and multiple options for demonstrating learning during major assessments. Instead of asking students what their preferred styles are, I have them nominate 3-5 preferred learning activities. I feel this is more practical (no faffing around trying to make up activities for each style). I put these up in class as a graph (so they can see why there is a focus on certain activity types) and use them to plan learning activities for my class. 

A learning activities graph for my Year 10 History subject

The activities listed definitely need more refining and variety, but it was useful as a document to quickly understand what my students enjoyed in class, as well as providing me with activities for them. Students also appreciated the opportunity to complete activities that they enjoyed. We utilised about 90% of these activities across the 2 terms that I had them for. Students made posters, brochures, websites, videos, wrote essays, took part in class discussions, presented information in groups, worked in groups and individually and regularly utilised ICT. We used organisers to clarify concepts and sort ideas, and used Human Continuums and others of that ilk to explore political concepts and ideologies. 

I now also provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge in different ways:

Year 7 Assignment on Ancient Egypt
I'm open to most forms of demonstrating knowledge and skills - after all, it's the acquisition and ability to use them that counts, not the method in which they show it. Giving them this choice engages them more, which is always a good thing. 

Long story short: Vary your learning activities, give students opportunities to have some ownership over assessment, don't allow them to pigeonhole themselves. 

I still have more work to do in this area - I want students to generate more of their own questions, to take more ownership and responsibility, and to become a teacher who is better capable of introducing these ideas skilfully. 


No comments:

Post a Comment